Exfoliation is one the most important skincare steps that so many people tend to neglect! It’s so necessary because it allows the top layers of your skin to shed, while revealing new skin cells to give the appearance of a healthier, glowing complexion.
Some of the many benefits of exfoliating include the following...
- It helps to remove bacteria, clean your pores, and prevent clogging, therefore helping to prevent acne.
- It boosts your circulation.
- It helps prevent ingrown hairs.
- When your pores are unclogged and the surface of the skin is smooth and rid of any dead or dry skin, your other products are able to better penetrate the skin and do their jobs!
- It helps to reverse sun damage and uneven skin tone.
- It can help ward off or slow down the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
There are two types of ways to exfoliate; Chemical and Physical. Chemical exfoliation is where a chemical compound such as AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) or BHA's (Beta Hydroxy Acids) literally eats away at dead skin cells. Physical exfoliation is when you use a material like a facial brush, sugar scrub, or sponge to break up dead skin cells that are then rinsed away with water.
So how and when should you exfoliate? Well first, you want to make sure to avoid exfoliating the face if you’re experiencing any breakouts, as it can irritate them. Some of us have a tendency to over-exfoliate, while others tend to not exfoliate enough. We typically recommend exfoliating two to three times per week, depending on how sensitive your skin is. Be sure your skin is wet, as to not dry it out when you exfoliate, and always, always, always follow up with a great moisturizer.
Don’t forget - this is a head to toe process! Exfoliating before (not after!) you shave is always recommended.
As a bonus, add our Rosie Glow Face Mask + Scrub to your routine. Rose Clay, Coconut Milk and Cranberry Seed Powder give your skin a boost of vitamins and minerals while the very fine bamboo powder gently exfoliates.For the body, we can’t get enough of our Sugar Body Scrub. Follow up with our Nourishing Body Butter for the silkiest, most radiant skin!